Friday, February 15, 2008

Choices

I've done it again. I've allowed myself to get drug into chat drama. As many times as I have promised myself not to get involved and not to get pulled in by friends online, I did. And of course, now I am faced with choices I don't like. Either I can pull out of a channel I put a lot of time and effort into, or I can sign onto the group mentality and tell the people who run the channel that I back their fuckage of my friend. Not a lot of choice, in my opinion. There are a few principles that I can't tolerate being stomped on.

First, no one insults my family but me. I've lived with them. I earned the right. I've tolerated the massive amounts of bullshit that get spewed and come out on the other side. I can say my father is an asshole. You, random person, better not.

Second, the customer is always right. I do not demand unreasonable demands. I want what I buy to work, or I want a replacement. Hell, I'll even take money back if that's the best I can get. I do not want to spend a month waiting to hear from people only to be asked "What was your question again?" I want you to care that I am upset. If you can't manage that, I want you to pretend to care at least until I am out of earshot. I don't want to have to send my PS3 back because ONE game I bought doesn't work on it. That's the stupidest shit ever. Be logical people. Replace a $500 piece of equipment, or give a $60 refund? Hmmm. Brainless there.

Third, you stick by your friends. Yeah, your friends probably piss you off sometimes. Yeah, they might in fact be the few people in the world who know how to hurt you most. Yeah, in fact, they are probably wrong as often as they are right. And, if they are wrong, you tell them. Then let them make the choice on how to deal with you and the truth you present to them. You don't let assholes k/b them for nothing. You don't back a channel that consistently makes wrong choices over friends you have talked to for a long time. You don't let people treat your friends like a parasite, when people ought to be grateful to even SEE your friends. And you certainly don't let jealousy over online romances allow your friend to get k/b-ed from a channel they have spent nearly as much time in as the owner.

Fourth, you do as your conscience demands. Yes, there may be times the principles will be broken. But it is me who decides when that is right to do, not someone else. And this time...it isn't right.

So, I will hurt someone. I will hurt a friend. And that choice sucks. But if you have told a friend that their decisions are wrong, and they continue down that path...you can either follow, or go where your own heart leads. My heart isn't leading me to follow any longer.

1 comment:

Nathan said...

Hrm, very interesting and very thought provoking dialect. I'm with you on the family thing all the way, I don't like people talking about our family either, even if I'm the one bitching about them at the moment. I think recently I've found that I'm in a similar place, where my friends choices and decisions are just leading us different places that I don't think I can follow them to. Luckily, I do have a few that are going my way as well. I'll think about what you said. Love you sis.