Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Inspired

Sometimes, inspiration strikes you from an odd angle. Sometimes, it is your own heartache. Sometimes, it is a joy you can't possible keep inside, and you feel burdened in your soul until you let it out, share it with the world. Those are pretty normal. But, sometimes, someone touches you in a way they don't expect and neither do you.

That happened to me today. While bored and struggling with my work today, I was eyeing my brother's msn, since yesterday he was sick and talked with me quite awhile. An oddity, and something I really enjoyed. Today though, he is better and off to school again. So, I'm happy for that, but also sad because it means I won't get to snicker at him and call him a dork today. He is a dork, and I snicker because I love him, for your information. But, those things aside, he has a link to his blog in his away message, and in my efforts to waste time and think about my spread concepts a little more loosely, I clicked.

Mind you, I have always been aware my brother is very intelligent, due I think in part to the stretching his brain got while my friend Micah lifted him up by the ears. *smirk* But, aside from a stolen glance at a poem he left in my computer's trash, I have never seen him write. Further, it should be stated for the record that the entirety of my family (small exclusions aside) are excellent with stories and tales. My mother is excellent, my older brother has dreams of writing a novel, my own efforts toward those ends are not completely worthless- so, you would think it would not come as a surprise to me to find myself mesmerized by my younger brother's thoughts. But... obviously, it did.

I was stunned, for lack of a better or more interesting word. Not especially by his post about sickness, though his new essay topic interested me, and I look forward to the posting of the result. But, his idea of love, and the ways he sees the relationships in my family surprised me. Perhaps, and I hope he doesn't find this insulting if he ever reads it, something of his innocence comes across in that perception. I fully admit to being cynical and twisted in my ideas of relationships, anyone who knows past the surface of me would agree to that. But, seeing the way he looks at my husband and I, almost changes my perception. My husband and myself are argumentative and constantly bickering, half serious, half because it amuses the shit out of us. In fact, it's rather a running joke. He and I are so different that the reason we stay together is "because we like sandwiches." You of course would reply, "what kind of sandwiches?" And the joke is... different kinds, but we both like them.

I'm getting off the point. So, his wisdom, and different point of view made me stop and think. I was impressed by his simple poignancy. Not only did it make me want to read his writing more, but it made me miss doing my own. I am frequently told I should keep writing, but I don't always have the desire, or the time. I plan to begin making it.

2 comments:

Nathan said...

I am a dork! ^^

And I like to think I've retained some innocence from what you and Todd have been destroying since you moved back to Madison... and in Phoenix... and you know

pale, quiet and alive said...

I do what I can to destroy that. However, I think Todd takes more glee in it than I do. ;)